Friday, February 29, 2008

fog and a solution

So, it is a foggy day here in Riverside, CA where you can never guess what the weather is going to be like:)  Sunday it rained and yesterday we hit the 80s!  I guess it keeps us on our toes.  I love the fog though.  It reminds me of home.  I miss home and my family and our randomness!  Honestly, I don't think I've met a more random family than mine and a few of my close friends can testify to that!

Anyways, I received a comment on how we get the point across, to the younger people in our lives, that they are to find their identity in Christ and not in a 'significant other'.  I think that this is one of the toughest things to accomplish.  I know that when I was in high school it was tough.  I never dated in High School, but everyone around me 'dated'(I use that term loosely).  Although, it is a tough thing to teach, I think it is VITAL to raising up a generation that is living a life zealous for the Lord.

I honestly believe that they have to be completely satisfied in Him.  They only way to truly understand who God is and fall in love with Him is through His Word.  I don't think that jr. highers and high schoolers have this foundation.  The Word of God is transforming, and life changing!  It is SO vital to how we live our lives and we live our lives based on who we understand God(our Savior, Redeemer, and Lord) to be. 

What also contributes to this is a lack of fear in God.  Sometimes we get caught up in the fact that He is a loving God(without a shadow of a doubt He is), and forget that He is a God that is Holy and should be approached in that manner!  He requires holiness from us.  We truly need a fear of the Lord and to fall in Love with Him....through the study of His Word.  We need to regard scripture as precious...we need to ingrain this in them.  

Deuteronomy 6:6-9 says,

"These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead.  You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."

This is how we help build their foundation in the Lord, so that when they get to the point of dating and truly seeking the one that the Lord has for them, to glorify Him in marriage, that they are only content in the Lord and only dependent on Him.

I know that Jr. High was not an enjoyable time in many people's lives.  And I praise God for those who work with them(such as Rachel).  But I think that because it is an awkward transition in life, it is imperative to teach them the precepts of the Lord.  I don't think we give God's Word the credit it deserves.  I think that since we see them as Jr. Highers(the stereotype of crazy/out of control), we think that we have to dress up Christianity and God's Word.  NO...it is LIFE CHANGING!  My life especially is a testimony to that.  So, at the end of the day, what are you doing to help raise up a generation after you that is seeking Him and wanting to abide in Christ?

1 comment:

Becca said...

I really like this. We actually talked about pouring into people in Wednesday night small group. It's really something to think about. Are we pouring ourselves into someone? Investing in them? If so, who? If not, who could we?

And I noticed you used a Dr. Mooney phrase..."at the end of the day." :)