Monday, February 25, 2008

the reason/thoughts on Valentines

So, I've never understood these blog things, until this year.  Only the smart intellectual types had them and so I never really looked into them.  Then I came to Cal Baptist and everyone is all about the blogs!  My friend Rachel has been nagging me to get one of these for about 2 months now, and so I’ve decided to give in.  The biggest reason why I decided to get one, is because I am interning at Precept Ministries in Tennessee this summer and this is the easiest to keep everyone updated.  So, I'm excited about this blog.  

I do have one theory about Valentines day though that I would like to talk about.  I actually told Rachel about this theory and then she told me that I had to get a blog(again)...so here is the theory that has made it's way from my head to here:)

So Valentines Day...it's a day for the purpose of expressing your love and appreciation for those who you care about the most.  Valentines has such great potential, but every year it seems to get more and more unoriginal.  Girls are awaiting the great bouquet of flowers on their doorstep and guys are frantically calling every flower shop in town.  I don't really understand the concept of flowers.  They are really beautiful, but what do you do with them??   (Now, if you received flowers from your admirer or father or grandfather or whoever, please don't be offended)  

This Valentines, I was thinking of my mom.  A few mother's days ago, all she wanted to do was have all of us pack up the back of the truck and go to the dump!  I thought she was crazy, but now I see such wisdom in this gift we gave my mom.  My mom is really practical and I see how wise it is to be practical.  I don't ever remember my dad giving my mom flowers.  She always asks for things like spatulas!  

Now, think about it.  First, Valentines is to be showing appreciation.  If someone gives you a gift, but there is no feeling behind it(or maybe it is a gift that is falsifying their feelings-maybe they really aren't happy with you).  Would you really want a gift like that?  So, when guys are running to and fro across the country looking for what EVERY guy is getting for his admired one, how does that have any thought behind it?  Now, there ARE exceptions to this.  Maybe she REALLY loves flowers...then why not get her a flower that will last a bit longer...like a potted plant!  That is SUPER practical.  Hey, I might even want that.  But when you just buy flowers, they die the next day!  If someone gave me flowers, I honestly wouldn't know what to do with them.  

That day, the light bulb in our bathroom had gone out(it actually had burnt out a week), and we had been waiting for campus maintenance to come and fix it.  We had been going to the bathroom in the dark for a week.  My roommate and I would always pray for each other at night when we had to take a shower in the pitch black.  Anyways, a friend came over that day and bought us a light bulb and fixed it for us.  Seriously, that was one of the greatest presents ever!  

One of my other friends told me that he was getting cards for his sisters.  This is a wonderful example of what Valentines is supposed to look like!  Its not just for the girlfriend you just hooked up with two weeks ago.  And as Christians, this is such a great day to send a special note of encouragement, letting the Body know that you love them and are grateful for them.

All that to say, Valentines has great potential.  I just wish people made the most of it.


5 comments:

Bryce said...

You are a wise woman, Holly. Keep the good thoughts rollin'. :)

Holly Stavness said...

no, its me finally realizing that the Lord has placed wise people in my life that reflect Him and that I need to watch them and act as they do as they follow Him.

Cinders said...

welcome. nice picture? i still have to finish reading...

Liz said...

i really really really like this blog!

and i am very happy you are back to blogging!

Kristi Strand said...

Oh! I am laughing so hard! I love you so much! That was a great day at the dump...thanks so much...and for the pink spatula, too. I still love it! :)